As many of you are finding out, space is the rarest commodity in this game. It’s a constant battle to fit everything we want into our cities. So, here’s a quick little guide that may help free up a section of your valuable real estate:
- Most buildings require a road, but some – like decorations – don’t, so use these to fill any odd gaps that are unconnected.
- You’ll want to keep your roads running as straight as possible, as a bendy road takes up far more squares than a straight one. One approach a lot of people use is the ‘comb’ design, where you have one main road along a side and then all other roads running off at right angles from it.
- Group buildings of similar width together. Have rows that hold two sets of buildings (as you only need a road touching one side of them) that are all the same width. For example, build two roads parallel 5 spaces apart and then fill the area with a row of 2x2s beside a row of 3x3s – rinse and repeat for whatever width buildings you can bundle together. It will make things *much* easier and neater, plus save space by keeping your rows straight.
- Road contact should be kept to the barest minimum. What I mean by this is that there’s absolutely no reason to have a road running down two sides of a building, so avoid this wherever possible. Similarly, you may not need to run a road down the entire length of a Great Building, if it’s at the end of a row, just touching it by one square is sufficient.
And, if possible, always run the road down the shortest edge of the building. For example, if you have a building that's 3x7, positioning it so that the road only touches the side that's 3 squares long, instead of the side that's 7 squares long, will save you 4 squares - enough space to fit another Shrine of Knowledge in. If you can do this for all your buildings it will add up to a sizeable saving.
- Put Great Buildings and other large event buildings by the edge or at the corners of your space to minimise the amount of road you need to take up to them. Say you have two 6x6 buildings next to each other with one road in between, you only need to bring the road up to 1 space to touch them both, meaning that the 5x1 gap in between can be filled with something like Sentinel Outposts.
- Always always upgrade your houses to the most modern, efficient once you can. There’s absolutely nothing to be gained by keeping last Age’s houses around. This also means that premium 200 diamond building they made us buy in the Bronze Age - as soon as you can build better, BUILD BETTER!
- And lastly, keep everything balanced! Make sure you have enough coin and supplies coming in to fund your goods buildings. Enough population and happiness to keep everything running at optimum. Do you have enough buildings that give attack/defence boosts to support you in your battles? And remember that Forge Point generation gets more and more important the higher you get, but don't focus so much on it that it's to the detriment of everything else.